05 June 2008

Higher Living Costs in Malaysia due to the hike of fuel prices!

Its finally happening! With the increase of the global fuel prices, our Malaysian Government has decided there is no way they can continue to subsidise Malaysian with their petrol consumption.

Gosh, even though I am in Singapore, I am still very concerned with this big news. What is going to happen to living costs in Malaysia? Our Prime Minister has informed that the inflation this year will be lifted to between 4 and 5 percent! Imagine the price we have to pay when we next dine in places like Delicious, Italianese or even the hotels! It will be madness won't it?

Yesterday I went to lunch with my fellow Malaysian colleagues at a restaurant in Boat Quay. To my surprise, their express set lunch which includes a maincourse and either starter/dessert only costs $15! The portion was big as well, some of my female colleagues can't even finish their pasta. So my point is, the living costs in Singapore is actually cheaper than those in Malaysia on a dollar to dollar basis! Thats good for me because I can save even more by working here!

Anyway, i think the Government should start building a better public transport for Malaysians. From today onwards, I can imagine the LRT and Monorail stations crowded with people as many people will no longer afford to drive to work. Perhaps our Government shall look at the MRT and Bus system in Singapore! Even on peak hour it wasn't as crowded as I imagined it to be! I remembered taking LRT during peak hour in KL, it was crowded and I have to wait at least three times before even getting into the LRT whereas in Singapore I only need to wait once and the next train will arrive in 2 minutes! Needless to say, the MRT was bigger and wider than our LRT with better ventilation.

Further, it was reported that ultimately the fuel price will be increased to US$0.86 a litre for petrol. I believe that might be happening very soon as well. I am also worry that how my parents and friends are going to survive in Malaysia. I think all the unnecessary entertainment costs would have to be reduced.

So how? Maybe you guys want to consider coming to work in Singapore?
Look for me if you guys want some advice/help on accommodation! I will be happy to help!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i believe that there will be a lot of consequences in malaysia. actually a few countries are raising prices too, but for msia, this is quite drastic i guess.

for those who can, lets bite the bullet.

i also agree with you that costs of living in spore is quite ok actually (maybe apart from Luxury housing) :)

Simon Seow said...

Yupe working in Singapore can save more, as what my ex colleague told me. Come on, a bowl of bak chor mee only cost around $2.20 to $2.50. I'm expecting pork mee to be around RM 5.50 to RM 6.00 next month. If with the dollar to dollar basis in earning. We're paying about 2.5 times more than Singaporean.

Sheryl0202 said...

quachee:yeah other than rent and car(don't need one cos their superb public transport), things are generally cheaper!

simon: Yeah, living costs in malaysia was already pretty high, now its going to get worse!